Nabadwip Vidyasagar College: A tryst with Destiny
During the Second World War, following the bombardment by Japan Calcutta saw an unprecedented exodus of a huge number of literate and enlightened citizens who, finding a safe haven on this part of gangetic soil, settled in Nabadwip. Calcutta Vidyasagar College, with its fast dwindling teachers and taught, had its two branches founded one in Suri, Birbhum and the other in Nabadwip.
Started on 5th march 1942 and initially housed and Nabadwip Hindu School, Nabadwip Vidyasagar College functioned as a branch of Calcutta Vidyasagar College up to 1948. With Prof. Madhab Das Chakrobarty of Calcutta Vidyasagar College to look after its functioning, and a local committee comprising some eminent citizens of Nabadwip at the helm of affairs the college started its humble journey till prof. J.K. Chowdhury took over as the Principal when on 10.09.1948 the college obtained an independent status, a full-fledged Governing Body and a permanent affiliation from Calcutta University. Affiliated to Kalyani University since 1999 and NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council) accredited (Grade-B) on 17.04.2007, again received ‘B’ grade on 30th October 2017, the college at present imparts education in as many as fourteen Honours courses and fifteen general courses, one M.A. (Sanskrit) three M.A courses in DODL mode, and a career oriented Communicative English course.